Life as a photographer, editor, and entrepreneur has driven me to some fabulous places and I like to document it with images, but also with words. So thank you for coming to take a peek. Welcome to my blog. Thanks for stopping by. Please come back soon to consume some more of who I am and what I do.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

HUNGER STRIKE

This past April, a beautiful friend of mine asked if I'd come to shoot a candlelight service that the teens at our church were holding during their '30 Hour Hunger Strike.' 'Of course!' I had answered without hesitation...not knowing in the slightest what I was getting myself in to...

Just eight months later, I sit here buried in visa application paperwork, my arm is a bit sore from my last vaccination shot I got yesterday, and my eyes are a bit tired from working with Mission Visual on the Hunger Strike video late last night...and I'm humbled to be a part of something so much bigger than anything I've ever known.

During the weekend of April 4th and 5th, 2009, thirty-two students from St. Paul’s in Irvine between the ages of 13 and 18 joined forces to make a difference in the world. They gathered together at the church to fast for 30 hours while they raised money and awareness about the plight of the needy in Tanzania and other developing countries. They gave up food so others could be fed. They fought hunger with hunger. Their hope was to bring hope to strangers on the other side of the Earth.

These teens participated in an inaugural event called Hunger Strike – An Orthodox Christian Fast for Change.

That one ceremony near the end of their thirty hours of fasting moved me. In that dark sanctuary, with my ISO bumped up as high as it would go, I saw the brightness of love and hope and selflessness, radiating from kids half my age.

These young people made a difference that weekend. They gathered together to bring hope to the children of Tanzania but what they really did was bring hope to us...


Hunger Strike is growing. And I'm going to Africa to aid in its growth...to aid in the health, nutrition and growth of brothers and sisters I've never met...


No comments:

Post a Comment