Life as a photographer, editor, and entrepreneur has driven me to some fabulous places and I like to document it with images, but also with words. So thank you for coming to take a peek. Welcome to my blog. Thanks for stopping by. Please come back soon to consume some more of who I am and what I do.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Rick Marcus - Environmental Portraits

I had read in Professor Rick Marcus' bio that back in the 70's, a bus accident in Afghanistan had turned his life around. I was immediately fascinated.

So. Moments after meeting him, as we walked from his office to our first shooting location, I asked what was up with his experience in Afghanistan. Naturally.

He quickly shared how the bus was overturned, he was unconscious for days, and when he finally returned to the States three weeks later, his smashed face had healed wrong and they had to break and reconfigure something like 57 bones. He said his face is disfigured. I said he looked great. He disagreed.

Nice, smooth start to a shoot, I thought.

So I took in a breath, had him sit down, and let the ambient light of the library glide across the curves of his great face. I let the intensity of his gaze guide me at first, then I took over and his face softened and we created some nice images together.

And I really do think he looks great.








1 comment:

  1. Those are beautiful pictures, Jackie. You did a great job capturing his terrific personality. It is a pleasure to see how you capture not only what the person looks like, but what they are like.

    --Hadar

    ReplyDelete