Life as a photographer, editor, and entrepreneur has driven me to some fabulous places and I like to document it with images, but also with words. So thank you for coming to take a peek. Welcome to my blog. Thanks for stopping by. Please come back soon to consume some more of who I am and what I do.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Organization - Documentary Photography

I had dinner with a fabulous client and friend of mine the other night, and she and her family so graciously opened their ears and eyes and hearts to share some of my stories from Africa. I showed them nearly all 2006 images I have filed and told them many stories and memories as we scrolled through.

So as I've been getting back into the swing of things here in the States, I've been organizing a lot. A time consuming yet necessary task that I neglect too often. So after all this organizing with my business, my office, my files, my head and my heart, and after the fabulous recount of my journey the other night with the Loebs, I thought I would share an organizational story from Africa.

It was our first night in Tanzania, and after about 6-7 hours in the bus (traveling from Uganda) and four straight days of travel across the world, we arrived in Bukoba Town and were greeted with hugs and songs from the parishioners at the All Disciples church next to the mission house where we'd be staying. It was dusk as the bus pulled off the dusty road.

After a filling meal, it was time to unload the bus and our bags and start preparing for our first clinic the next day. Dr. Curley explained the positions and procedures as she walked us through our clinic setup. It was an intense orientation and my skin tingled at the thought of being face to face with disease and suffering people the very next morning. The medical mission was about to begin.

After Dr. Curley had finished explanations and most questions had been answered, it was time to unpack the medications and to organize them. There were about 500 pounds and $60,000 worth of meds for us to go through. It was late and we were tired, but we unzipped and unloaded and the organization began.

About 5 hours, 15 protein bars and countless beads of perspiration later, we were finally organized and ready for the next day. It was 1am.


Most of us were awake before the sunrise the next morning. The Mission had begun.




























1 comment:

  1. amazed, again. I'm beginning to feel like your memories of Africa are MY memories of Africa. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete